I did some e-Bay scrounging over the winter. Now that the
weather has improved I installed some of my finds. I also
repainted some of the chrome
"nose" trim on the front of the hood and just above the
grill used to be painted on the inset portions. Over
the years this has all word away. I matched the paint
as best I could based on the surviving painted trim on the
dash. Then I left it on the shelf because I was
chicken. But the worst that could happen is that
I have to strip the paint back off. So I pulled the
chrome off the car and cleaned it carefully. These
parts should probably be re-chromed. They are not
badly pitted but there are pits around the edges and the
rest of the chrome is thin and scratched. But I have
not found a good plating shop (any suggestions?) so I will
wait. You can see the condition in this close-up.
in my living room is this "bullet-nose" off a 1950
Studebaker. It is in rough shape but it still has
"STUDEBAKER" embossed across the top. I figured that
would be a good piece to practice on. My plan was to
thin the paint way out and use a small pointed stick and a
fine brush to "push" the paint around the chrome. It
worked pretty well.
changed the procedure a little on the actual parts.
Since the edges were mostly straight lines I tried to use
masking tape to mask off the edges. It worked but did
not really save me much effort. The area
to paint is a bit large so it was hard to get the paint on
without brush marks or blobs. Also when I thinned the
paint enough to flow well it also tended to want to run.
And you can't get both sides of these angled parts level at
once. So I just kept them moving until the paint set.
final result was OK. The edges were not as even as I
would have liked. I was able to carefully clean this
up with a razor blade but it is still not perfect. If
only I was not so clumsy with a brush! I think the end
result looks pretty nice.
up: I found a NOS interior dome light on e-Bay.
The price was right and mine has a lot of flaking in the
chrome. So I swapped it out
fixture is in great shape. The bulb is even good.
No power though. One of the switches is probably bad.
are the two side by side. Guess which one is the new
light? The new one snapped right in place. I
need to figure out a way to clean the headliner. Years
of cigarette smoke and coal dust created that lovely patina
car's radio is not right for the car and is in the way.
I pulled it out to get under the dash and never put it back
(more on that
here). The controls were left in since I had
nothing better to put in there.
car left South Bend without a radio so I really wanted the
correct "radio delete plate" to cover the hole. e-Bay
to the rescue! I snagged a radio delete plate in
reasonable shape. It is the wrong color and had a
dent. Some careful hammer work flattened it out.
it was still a metallic bronze color instead of the semi-gloss
black that it should have been. I masked it as best I
could. Electrical tape stuck to the thin edges better than
painted it with semi-gloss spray paint. The factory black
is more grey (or is now after 66 years) but this is what I had.
The final finish was not very even but rubbing compound and
polishing made it look much better. This is right after
the masking came off.
controls out, delete plate in! Under the camera flash the
color difference is painfully obvious. But I can live with