I know I have not been updating the site much but not much has
been happening. The car has been running great and I have been
driving it as much as possible which makes for not much for the web
site. To make up for it I decided to break my speedometer.
speedometer needle was getting bouncy over the summer so I
figured I would lubricate the speedometer cable. My
daughter and I disconnected both ends and slid the cable
out. Her she is cleaning the cable. I can't tell
if she is mad about the camera, the kerosene, or the grease.
We lubricated the cable and put it back in. But I
think I put it in backwards. Because the very next
day the speedometer stopped working. I found the
end of the cable was all unraveled.
to the rescue! They had a replacement generic
speedometer core. I removed the old cable from
the car and cleaned the cable sheath carefully both inside
and out. I then cut the new cable to length and
crimped the end on the cable. You can see the crimp
tool that came with the cable in the picture. I just
put it in a vice and squeezed.
Before putting the cable
back in the sheath I lubricated it with a graphite-based
lubricant designed for this job.
is the end of the cable that attaches to the speedometer.
Before reattaching this I put a couple drops of oil in the
speedometer. There is a little oil cup on it but I
could not get a picture. I needed a mirror and
three hands just to reach the top of the speedometer.
cable exits the firewall through this grommet. The
grommet is actually still in really good shape so I reused
it. The grommet has three other holes for the water
temperature capillary tube, the vacuum line for the
windshield wipers, and a wiring harness.
is the other end attached to the transmission. When I
measured the cable I found I actually have the cable for a
car with overdrive. That means the cable is about 8
inches longer than I need but it might be handy if I put an
overdrive transmission in the car.
Here is a video of the test run for the speedometer.
It seems to be working great now.