New Gas Gauge Sender

August 3, 2008

I have been a bit lax about working on the car.  It has been running great so I have been driving it more than fixing it.  However the gas gauge sender I screwed up when I rebuilt the fuel tank has been bugging me.  Finally that is fixed.

A new sender is the answer but it was very hard to find.  I found one at a swap meet that was not the right part but I thought might work.  I was wrong.  Finally in June I spotted one on e-Bay and won it.    It is hard to believe this sender is 60 years old!
I stopped gassing the car up for 250 miles.  That left only a few gallons in the tank.   It took about three pans to empty the tank.   Turns out the undercoating I used on the tank dissolves in gasoline but no harm done.
The dog really wanted to sleep right where I needed to work.  In case I never mentioned it Buddy loves this car.  Every time he goes into the garage he goes and stands next to the Studebaker in hopes of getting a ride.  I think here he was checking my work.
Once I dropped the tank out the old sensor came out with 6 screws.  The gasket my daughter made was still intact so I left it.  Here I am doing some quick electrical tests to make sure the wiring is right.  Just to be save I added a ground wire to make sure my carefully undercoated tank is grounded.

Once I bolted the tank back up the gauge read 1/3 full when empty.  But it does read full when the tank is full.  I can live with it.