I went to roll the car back a couple of feet and the car refused
to move. A little investigation revealed that the driver's
side front wheel would not turn. The brakes had frozen.
This will never do!
I first got the car running the driver's side rear brake
would not release so I pulled it apart and rebuilt the
cylinder. The other three wheels
looked fine so I left them
alone. That was probably a mistake. I had my
oldest daughter slowly press the brake pedal to push the
piston out a little and this is what I saw. Ugly, eh?
And only one piston would move. The other was frozen
local NAPA was able to get the rebuilding kits. NAPA
also was able to get the three flexible brake hoses on the
car so I ordered them too. This is what I found when I
pulled the front brake cylinder apart. Really
ugly. One piston is still stuck in the cylinder bore
when I took this picture. I had to soak it with
penetrating oil and beat on it with a brass rod to get it
I honed the cylinder there were pretty serious pits in the
bore. A new cylinder was $60 from
Steven Allen Studebaker but brakes are not worth taking
risks with. I ordered a new one.
it was time for the brake hoses. The drivers side
front is the biggest problem because of this junction.
This sends pressure from the master cylinder to both front
brakes. To get this apart I had to remove the wheel
cylinder from the other end of the hose, remove both brake
lines, pop off the clip holding the brake hose to the frame,
then unscrew the flex hose from the fitting. Kind of a
By the way the cylindrical metal object with the
bolt at the top of the picture is the front shock.
old hoses were dated 1979 so they were probably due.
However the new hoses were different from the old ones.
There is a washer-like bit on the old hose that fits into a
recess on the frame around the hole in the frame bracket
shown above. The new hose has a clip-like thing with
ears that will not fit in the recess.
I cut the ears off. That will work.
are three flexible brake hoses on the car. The nice
thing is they are all identical. Here is the new hose
installed at the rear axle.
the new cylinder arrived I installed it and put the new hose
in. Its all good. However before tightening all
the brake lines I neglected to make sure the hose was out of
the way. So now when the front suspension is extended
the hose hits the upper control arm. I was too
lazy to take it all apart again so I put a rubber
guard around the hose. I will keep an eye on it.
came the other front wheel and the passenger's rear wheel.
First the drum came off.
I removed the parts from the cylinder, honed it, cleaned
everything, and reassembled with all new rubber parts and
springs. Two of the 6 pistons were stuck in the bores
which I think means 2 brake shoes were doing little or nothing
to help stop the car
put it all together. This goes pretty quickly but I
took a really fuzzy picture here. Once all the brakes were
back together I bled and adjusted the brakes. Strangely
the brake pedal seems softer than it did before. That
might be because more pistons are moving then I had before