Manifold Gasket Replacement

June 18, 2009

Well, the exhaust manifold leak never did get any better. Rather than try and mess with the old gasket I bought a new one. At the same time I replaced the exhaust pipe flange nuts with stainless ones.

Getting the manifold out is a pain with the engine in the car but I had it out inside of an hour. We were leaking some gas here.
There was a little leaking on the #1 cylinder too.
Here is he old and new gaskets. The old gasket was a metal crush gasket. Once the hot exhaust gas started leaking past the gasket it was toast. The new gasket is a fiber type. I used a high-temp copper spray sealant on it too. I did not take after pictures but it looks good now.


Manifold Gasket Replacement — 1 Comment

  1. Pingback: Valve adjustment and new starter cable | 1941 Studebaker Champion

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *