Time for spring cleaning on the Studebaker. I am a little behind this year but last weekend I finally got a chance to get some work done. First step is to check the sediment bowl on the fuel pump.
There were a few bits of crap floating in the sediment bowl. Not too bad.
The gas from the sediment bowl got recycled for cleaning the air filter. The air filter is pretty unsophisticated. It is just some copper wool with some engine oil on it to attract dirt. I cleaned it with gasoline, let it dry, then re-coated it with oil.
Time for an oil change. Draining the oil from the pan is easy
But the filter is a pain. I have a Fram partial-flow oil filter installed that uses a cartridge-style filter.
After unscrewing the lid the old filter pops out
Leaving behind 1/2 liter of old oil.
All the oil has to be sucked out. Leaving this tasty treat.
After sacrificing a rag to the oil gods we have a nice clean filter can.
A new filter from NAPA (1006). The filter just slides in then the can is filled with oil. A new gasket for the lid is included with the filter. 5 quarts of oil later and the oil change is complete.
Next I topped off the battery with distilled water.
And greased the chassis. There are grease fittings everywhere as well as oil holes, cups, and pads.I also adjusted all 4 brakes.
Then this happened. Monsoon season shut down my fun for the day. The car and I both got soaked. Spark plugs and points will have to wait for another day.
Pingback: Spring maintenance | 1941 Studebaker Champion