Rear brake cylinders

Last year about this time I found leaking wheel cylinders in the front brakes. The rears are at least as old as the fronts so I made note at the time that I should check the rears too. Finally got to it today.

First the parts. I bought two NOS wheel cylinders off e-Bay years ago (that one in the blue box). But they are at least 20 years old and no way am I trusting rubber brake parts that old. I had one fresh rear rebuild kit I bought by mistake a couple years go (the small box) so I went to NAPA to get another one like it. Discontinued. Crap. Then the guy helping me said they had a complete wheel cylinder on the shelf. Sold! So I have one new wheel cylinder and one new-but-needs-rebuilt cylinder. Lets rebuild!

These are probably OK but why take a chance?
Ready to assemble
Going together

All done!

Now it is time for one of my favorite tools. I got this puller off e-Bay after my old puller proved horribly inadequate back in 2010. It is military surplus and AWSOME.

Here is the puller hooked up. All 4 arms are on the studs and tight. Notice the axle nut is reversed and put back on the axle to keep drum from flying off.

Here is a close-up of the end of the puller. Then you whack it. A lot. This is the passenger side and it did not want to let go. So I put some heat on the hub. That worked. Scared me it was so loud.

Looks like some water got on the axle. I will have to clean that up. No sign of leaking or damage.

I removed the grease cover and wheel cylinder then cleaned up the axle.

All back together and ready to put the drum and hub back on

Next I cleaned the drums up and found this. Both drums are less than flat and smooth. I probably should get them turned and replace the brake shoes but that might be a problem if these drums are too thin. I need to pull the drums off my spare axle and see what they look like. Shoes can be had. Not cheap but they are out there. so I just put it back together.

I tore down the old wheel cylinders to see what they look like. There is some corrosion but not bad.

I have seen worse but this is not great. It can be honed and rebuilt though.

Lots of corrosion in the pistons too.

I forgot to take pictures while I was putting the drums back on. I reinstalled my speed-bleeders and bled the brakes. Took a few stops to bed the shoes back in but they work great now. Plus I washed the car!


Rear brake cylinders — 1 Comment

  1. Pingback: Spring maintenance (sort of) | 1941 Studebaker Champion

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *