I had a few minutes today so I decided to replace my pedal pads. Both are worn and the brake pedal pad is broken
Back in 2010 (wow, time flies!) when I put the front stabilizer arms together the hardware on the inner ends of the arms was in rough shape. I bought some nylon washers to replace the original leather washers and replaced the worn hardware. But ever since there has been a rattle from up there.
Here is that I put together back then. You can see one of the ruined washers at the bottom.
Here it is assembled. The mistake I made is the arm is too loose on the shoulder bolt so it rattles every time the car hits a bump.
The fix I made (nine years later!) was to cut rubber washers out of an old inner tube. I neglected to take pictures of this until it was already back together. But things are a lot more quiet now. I am not sure the rubber washers will hold up, but if they don’t I will make replacements out of leather.
Current mileage for future reference
Weather was nice today so I started the spring maintenance. First thing to do was pull out the spark plugs. They look super nice so I cleaned and gapped them.
Installed a new(er) shock absorber this weekend. Click here for the full story.
I was really not happy with how the brake bleeding went back in December and the winter has been really cold and nasty. So nothing has happened since. Today was a bright sunny day (and almost above freezing!) so I dove in.
Over the last couple of months I have noticed the brake pedal is getting mushy. The brakes have been bled and adjusted so I am thinking the master cylinder needs a rebuild. After all it has been 13 years since the last time. Or so I thought. So when we had a 50 degree day in December I figured it was time to get to it. The only real problem is it is raining outside so I have to work in my very cluttered garage. This will be fun.
I took the Studebaker to the Dublin Auto Show yesterday. I have been hearing about this show for a while but never managed to get there. It was certainly a nice show!
OK, it is actually summer maintenance at this point. But better late than never. Continue reading
It was supposed to storm today but it ended up not happening until 4:30 or so. That let us get three different trips in for this year’s event. Car ran great and a fun time was had by all. I even bought gas.
It was a pretty nice day today so I decided to see what is up with my charging system. When a mechanical voltage regulator is charging high it is either the battery, the field wire, or the regulator. First I checked the battery. All three cells are showing marginal specific gravity. It might be failing. Next I checked the field wire from the regulator for continuity and shorts.
This wire was fine. So next I started the engine and checked out the voltage.
The voltage regulator is putting out good voltage. Finally I put my inductive ammeter on the negative battery cable. It is showing 15 amps of charge all the time. I think the battery is just not taking the charge. I will just keep an eye on it for now.